The Garden at Dunster Castle, National Trust

Castle Hill, TA24 6SL

The Garden at Dunster Castle, National Trust

Description

The result of 100s of years of planning, building and restoration a walk around the gardens at Dunster Castle takes you around the world and though four different microclimates.

The South Terrace

With far reaching views across the Bristol Channel and Deer Park the present day layout of the South Terrace stems from the Victorian period. In the 1820s, at the behest of George Luttrell, the architect Salvin demolished the existing Thornhill Chapel which had been built on the south facade in 1721. A new wing was constructed in its place and the resulting South Terrace was formed. To reflect its history, the flower beds are planted in the Victorian style with spring bulbs giving a spectacular floral display and in summer there is an abundance of brightly coloured bedding plants. The area has a Mediterranean feel due to its fortunate micro-climate and this enables tender plants to thrive including the row of Chusan Palms. This part of the garden also contains the Orangery, (now renamed the Camellia House) where you can pick up take away coffee and snacks, the Swan Pond which is home to goldfishes and newts and the Lemon House.

The River Garden

A native micro climate the River Garden is a wild, wooded area. Green throughout the year during spring it is full of colour as the magnolia trees bloom. During summer the giant rhubarb reaches its peak in growth getting so big they make an unusual umbrella when caught in the rain. Home to some rare species including the Handkerchief tree was grown from seeds smuggled back from Australia by Alys Luttrell in her purse in the 1920’s.

Bridges cross the River Avil which runs through the garden and lead to walks on the wider estate. And at the end of the garden is the working watermill which produces over 6 tonnes of flour a year.

The Yew bank

There have been yews on this bank dating back to the eighteenth century when the original drive - The New Way - was commissioned in 1720 by Dorothy Luttrell. In those days, it was very fashionable to create areas of light and shade within a garden and yews were perfect in this respect for shade. However, over the years, the yews grew too large and they were coppiced in 2012 and are now kept within bounds.

The Keep

This area was originally the Upper Ward of the Norman Fortress of Dunster and, therefore, is the highest point in the Dunster landscape. In 1721, at the request of Dorothy Luttrell, the area was levelled and turned into a Bowling Green. To offer shelter and a dining area for the participants and the ladies, the Octagon Tower was constructed this now houses an exhibition exploring the history.

 


Opening Hours

January to December

(Opening)
 

Road Directions

Nearest major road is A39.

Public Transport Directions

Bus/Route No: 398

Route Description: 398 Taunton - Minehead (Approx. every 2 hours, Mon-Sat, not bank holidays)
Proximity to Bus Stop: 100 yards
Disability Access: No
Nearest Mainline station is Taunton.

Contact

The Garden at Dunster Castle, National Trust
Castle Hill
Dunster, Nr Minehead
TA24 6SL
United Kingdom


T: 01643 821314

F: 01643 823000

E: dunstercastle@nationaltrust.org.uk

W: nationaltrust.org.uk/dunster-castle/features/the-gardens-at-dunster-castle

Facebook: @dunstercastle

Twitter: @DunsterCastleNT



Get Directions



Things to do!


More things to do

Events


More events

Newsletter

Become a Member



Read more

Book a Conference



Read more

Visitor Information



Read more
Open Map
Close Map