Situated in the small village of Stanton Drew is the 3rd largest complex of prehistoric syanding stones in England. Unlike their counter parts in Avebury and Stone Henge these circle's are relatively unknown, allowing the discerning visitor intimate access to a very elaborate and important ritual site dating back over 4000 years. 
stone.jpg
There are three stone circles adjacent to the village, with the largest (The Great Circle) measuring 113 metres in diameter.

Twenty six of the stones are still standing, while a further three large stones are (Called the Cove) are in the garden of the village pub and a single stone (Known as Hautville's Quoit) is situated to the north, across from the River Chew.

It appears that these three sites were all part of a complex, their use lost in the mists of time. First recorded by the first antiquarian John Aubrey in 1664, they remain as he discovered them 300 years ago.  

Myths and Legends 
The most peristent tale is that the stones are the petrified members of a wedding party and its muscians, lured by the Devil to celebrate on the Sabbath and thus being punished for the revels. 
   
There are three stone circles adjacent to the village, with the largest (the Great Circle) measuring 113 metres in diameter. 2.jpg
 
Twenty-six of the stones are still standing, while a further three large stones (called The Cove) are in the garden of the village pub and a single stone (known as
Hautville’s Quoit) is situated to the north, across the River Chew.
 
It appears these three sites were all part of a single complex, their use lost in the mists of time.

First recorded by the famous antiquarian John Aubrey in 1664, they remain as he discovered them, over 300 years ago.



      
Open Map
Close Map