North Somerset

Somerset Towns and Villages

Charterhouse

Charterhouse

Description

Charterhouse, also known as Charterhouse-on-Mendip, is a small hamlet in the Mendip Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). The name is believed to come from the Carthusian order of Chartreuse in France, which was established in Witham (near Frome) in 1181.

There is evidence, in the form of burials in local caves, of human occupation since the late Neolithic/Early Bronze Age and the lead and silver mines at Charterhouse, were first operated on a large scale by the Romans, from at least AD 49.

There are several Caves of the Mendip Hills in the limestone around the village including Manor Farm Swallet and Upper Flood Swallet and the village is home to the Charterhouse Centre, an outdoor activity and environmental centre.

 


Road Directions

Leave the M5 at junction 22, then at Edithmead roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A38, signposted Bristol South, Airport, Weston-Super-Mare.

At East Brent roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A38, signposted Bristol.

Turn right onto Broadway and then right onto Turnpike road.

Turn right onto The Square and continue forward onto Cuck Hill.

Turn left onto Longbottom, then take a right and then a left.


Public Transport Directions

Rail: Closest Station Frome
Bus: Regular bus service 267 from Frome to Bath


Contact

Charterhouse
United Kingdom




Get Directions

Things to do!


More things to do

Events Near By!


More events

Accommodation Near By


Accommodation

Newsletter

Become a Member



Read more

Book a Conference



Read more

Visitor Information



Read more
Open Map
Close Map