South Somerset

Market Towns in South Somerset

Martock

Martock

Description

This thriving community is one of the largest parishes in Somerset and has one of the oldest domestic dwellings, the National Trust's Treasurer's House, as well as an impressive 13th parish church with one of the finest carved tie beam roofs in Somerset and an old grammar school founded in 1661.
The Martock Bean used to be a popular plant in the 16th and 17th centuries and old Martockians are known as "Beanies"
The Ash village church was constructed between 1840 and 1887 has a simple tower which was added as a war memorial after the First World War - stating the tower was built "in honour of all those who gave their lives for King and Country."
 

Contact

Martock



Newsletter

Become a Member



Read more

Book a Conference



Read more

Visitor Information



Read more
Open Map
Close Map