This monument to Wellington’s victory at Waterloo in 1815 is situated near the village of Wellington in West Somerset. The monument is visible from many miles around and surrounded by idyllic parkland on rolling hills, and the grand walk up to it is a delight. Reaching 175 feet, the design of the monument (by Thomas Lee) was inspired by an Egyptian obelisk, but built in the shape of the type of bayonet used by Wellington’s armies. First proposed in the year of victory, it wasn’t completed until 1854, as the initial funds raised proved far short of what was required. The monument also called for 24 cannons captured from the French at Waterloo to be installed around the base but this never happened. Some were initially shipped for display but remained in the port of Exeter, where all but one were eventually used as bollards. The replacements were found to be from Scotland and had never had the mud of a Belgian field on their wheels. Eventually, four others were placed at the monument but were removed during the Second World War for scrap metal, although they were never used as scrap and were eventually buried at Watchet. It wasn’t until 1984 that the one remaining Exeter cannon was finally placed in position. The monument is currently being repaired.