Tintinhull was originally laid out in the early 20th century, nestling around an original farmhouse built of local Hamstone in 1630. The building was enlarged in the 1700s and again in 1898.

 

The gardens were set out in the early 20th century by cottage owner Dr SJM Price. The subsequent owners (Phyllis Reiss and Captain FE Reiss) expanded the original theme by designing a number of garden ‘rooms’ each with its own style and purpose and separated by walls and yew hedges.
 Tintinhull.png
In 1954, Mrs Reiss gifted the property to the National Trust and after her death in 1961 the Trust leased the house to tenants, including the acclaimed garden designer and writer Penelope Hobhouse, who lived there from 1980 to 1993.
Wandering in this ‘Hidcote-style’ garden is a pleasure, savouring both the many varietals and intimate views.
 
In one section the pool garden is a poignant memorial to  the owner’s nephew, who was killed over the Mediterranean while serving in the RAF during the Second World War.

Open Map
Close Map