Historic Burrow Mump is another island in the Levels. Reaching 79 feet high it overlooks the River Tone, where the old course of the River Cary joins the River Parrett. 

Evidence remains of Roman occupation and excavations show a masonry building stood here in the 12th  century. In the 15th century a medieval church occupied the site, serving as a sanctuary for royalist troops during the English Civil War. During the Monmouth Rebellion in 1685 a detachment of the King’s Army occupied the hill.1.jpg
 
A new church was  rebuilt in 1793 but by the late 19th century this had become abandoned. The short but steep climb to the top is highly recommended, with views stretching across the Levels in all directions, and the strong walls of the ruined tower still provide welcome shelter from the sun and wind.

Open Map
Close Map